I guess technically this should be in The Kitchen section of Where's Mer but after reading about all the bennies that Turmeric has to offer I decided this is more tonic than food.
Before I made one of these lattes I had no idea what Turmeric looked like outside of a spice jar but it resembles a thinner more orange-y ginger and has a wonderful earthy flavor. Known primarily for it's anti-inflammatory qualities, (read: disease fighting, anti-oxidant empowering, skin glowing goodness) turmeric is commonly found in curries and sometimes used to spice chicken. It turns everything it touches an almost neon yellow color (check out this latte ^^) and adds a deliciously rich flavor. The recommended daily dose is 3g of cut turmeric and this latte is an excellent way to get 100% of that daily intake in it's most digestible form.
- 1 1/2 c. of organic unsweetened almond milk
- 3 grams of peeled and roughly chopped turmeric (about half a pinky size piece)
- 3-5 grams of peeled and roughly chopped ginger (about half a thumb size piece)
- 2 teaspoons of coconut sugar
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Warm the almond milk over medium to medium high heat until it starts to simmer
- In the meantime prepare your other ingredients and place them in a powerful blender (like a vitamix)
- When the almond milk is simmering around the edges pour the warm almond milk into the blender and blend until all ingredients are mixed well (this may take longer than you think since ginger and turmeric are naturally "thready")
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!